Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
LL.B. (Hons), Singapore Management University
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Wee Shilei graduated from the Singapore Management University with a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 2014. Shilei passed the New York Bar Examination in 2018 and is expected to be admitted into the New York Bar in 2019.
Shilei’s primary area of practice is in litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution. She has assisted in litigation at various levels of Singapore’s courts and arbitration proceedings. She has been involved in a variety of matters including commercial contractual disputes, employment disputes, company and shareholders disputes (including statutory derivative actions and minority oppression actions) and intellectual property disputes.
Shilei has also been involved in non-contentious matters including matters relating to personal data protection and probate & trusts.
Some of the matters which Shilei has been involved in include:
- Acted for 2 of the Appellants in a landmark decision by the Singapore Court of Appeal where an action in the High Court brought on the grounds of oppression of a minority shareholder in a company was held to be arbitrable and was stayed in favour of arbitration even though not all the parties in the action were parties to the arbitration agreement: Tomolugen Holdings Ltd and another v Silica Investors Ltd and other appeals  SGCA 57.
- Acted for a leading materials manufacturer in a matter involving supply of goods worth over US$4 million;
- Acted for a foreign company to fight off various enforcement proceedings arising from a Final Garnishee Order for the sum of S$1.3 million;
- Acted for an individual against a financial institution in a claim for fraudulent misrepresentation, passing off and conspiracy for the sum of S$8.8 million;
- Acted for a local commodities company in a cross-border arbitration governed by the SIAC rules;
- Acted for a local sports association in a High Court suit on alleged breaches of the rules of natural justice in the conduct of its disciplinary inquiry;
- Acted for one of the defendants in a family dispute involving a public listed company;
- Acted for landlords and tenants in tenancy disputes;
- Advised landlords and tenants on tenancy agreements and regulatory and commercial issues relating to tenancy;
- Advised and assisted individuals in immigration matters, including applications and appeals for Singapore PR and citizenship to the relevant authorities (e.g. EDB, Contact Singapore);
- Advised local companies, societies, charities, and sports associations on regulatory matters including compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2012, HR and employment issues e.g. restraint of trade, conflicts of interest, communications and marketing.