Tan Jee Ming
Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore
LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
Tan Jee Ming
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Member of Law Society of Singapore
- Member of Singapore Academy of Law
- Chairman and Member of Inquiry Committee
- Member of Disciplinary Tribunal
- Member of Compensation Fund Committee
- Member of Singapore Institute of Directors
- Legal Adviser to Ostomy Association of Singapore (OAS)
- English , Mandarin and various dialects
Mr. Tan Jee Ming graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1985 and was called to the Singapore Bar in 1986.
After commencing practice in 1986, he worked primarily in the fields of Civil and Criminal Litigation. The scope of his practice eventually extended beyond litigation to other areas of legal practice.
Circa. 1987/1988, he became a partner with Messrs Derrick Ravi & Partners. In 1996, he started his own boutique practice Messrs Tan Jee Ming & Partners. The firm subsequently merged with Straits Law Practice LLC in 2010. After more than 8 years, he has now joined the firm of Quahe Woo & Palmer LLC as a Consultant in 2018.
Throughout his years of practice, he has represented numerous clients in litigation matters through all the rungs of the judicial hierarchy. He had also acted for, managed and rendered advice to clients from all levels of the corporate world and individuals from all walks of life.
Currently, he focuses on and works with the various litigation teams in Quahe Woo & Palmer LLC principally in the formulation and devise of litigation strategies and clients management.
He also sits as both Chairman and/or member in the Review and Inquiry Committees of The Law Society of Singapore. Apart from the aforesaid, he is also a member of the Disciplinary Tribunal appointed by the Honourable Chief Justice.
In the area of corporate governance, he has also been appointed as an independent director of 2 Singapore listed companies. In both listed companies, apart from being a Board member, he also sits as the Chairman of the Nomination Committee and as member of the Audit and Remuneration Committee.
- Acted for DBS Trustees and REIT Managers in respect of their claim against an adverse party and also the ensuing judicial management proceedings in consequence thereof.
- Advising and acting for a Singapore listed company in respect of their queries on various corporate issues.
- Acted for the Defendants in a claim against them for non-contractual performance arising out of the Indonesian sand ban imposed against Singapore companies. The matter was successfully defended before the High Court and also subsequently the Court of Appeal who found in favour of the Defendants.
- Appointed and acted as Supervising Solicitor in two High Court Suits involving Civil Search Warrants. Managing the search proceedings with the solicitors of all involved parties and also the forensic investigators.
- Acted for various Independent Directors of a Singapore listed company in respect of issues arising inter se them.
- Acted for the Financial Controller of a company who was charged by the Commercial Affairs Department, under The Companies Act and obtaining an acquittal after trial.
- Acted for a prominent foreign journalist in respect of trafficking and other drug related charges. Successfully persuaded the Attorney General's Chambers to withdraw the said drug trafficking charge against him.
- Acted in an Appeal for a party who was convicted under the Enlistment Act and sentenced to 18 months imprisonment. Upon Appeal, the sentence of 18 months’ imprisonment was set aside and substituted with a fine.
- Acted for the Law Society in the prosecution of offences by solicitors under The Legal Profession Act and also represented solicitors in their defence at the Review and Inquiry Committee hearings.