Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Fellow, Singapore institute of Arbitrators
- Associate Mediator, Maritime Panel, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Collin has been cited as a leading shipping lawyer in various publications including the Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Shipping & Maritime Lawyers (1999) and in Chambers Global – The Directory of the World’s Leading Lawyers (2000 – 2001; 2001 – 2002).
- Collin has also been named as one of the Leading Individuals in Shipping, by The Asia Pacific Legal 500
- He has been appointed as arbitrator in a number of maritime disputes
Collin is a commercial lawyer who has, since starting practice in 1993, handled a wide spectrum of advisory, litigation and arbitration cases. His portfolio includes complex multi-jurisdictional joint venture, shareholder, IT, shipping, maritime and insurance disputes.
He has also advised on a diverse range of commercial, regulatory and environmental issues. These range from regulatory liabilities arising from ownership of a VLCC jetty, personal data issues in insurance investigations, statutory rights in relation to land reclamation on Jurong Island, to potential regulatory breaches arising from sale of Lehman-related structured products.
Cases that Collin has handled include:
- Advising US insurer setting up Singapore branch on insurance terms for professional indemnity, general and marine insurance policies;
- Acting for bunker barge owners, after the collapse of O.W. Bunker, to defend claims by Phillips 66 International Trading Pte Ltd for alleged delivery of bunkers without production of bills of lading, reported in The “Star Quest”  3 SLR 1280;
- Acting for P.T. Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk in relation to transfer of 24 tankers as part of its restructuring;
- Acting for HSBC Australia to obtain freezing orders in relation to claims for mis-selling of investment products;
- Acting for the owners of “POE Giant 12” which ran aground on Pedra Branca, including the removal of the wreck and cargo;
- Acting in SIAC arbitration for a SGX listed shipyard against its auditors for substantial losses in excess of $250m from unauthorised FX transactions;
- Acting for Linsen International Ltd and other entities in the Empire Tankers Group in relation to claims against and the liquidation of Humpuss Sea Transport Pte Ltd;
- Acting for Mr Peter Lim in disputes with Raffles Town Club involving among others, allegations of breach of directors’ duties and conspiracy, reported in RTC v Peter Lim & Others  SGHC 163 (High Court) and  1 SLR 374 (Court of Appeal);
- Acting for IBM Singapore in a IT contractual dispute with the Singapore Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board over an IT system turnkey project;
- Acting for P&O Australia in a shareholder oppression claim, reported in Ng Sing King v. PSA International Pte Ltd  3 SLR(R) 591 (High Court) and  2 SLR 56 (High Court);
- Acting for a Singapore bank to obtain a successful foreclosure of Springleaf Tower;
- Acting for Metro Holdings Ltd in relation to the sinking of its passenger ship, “SUN VISTA” in the Straits of Malacca and subsequent hull and machinery insurance claim;
- Acting for the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) in a dispute over priority of port dues, reported in The ‘Hurst’  1 SLR 237 (High Court) and Planmarine AG v. MPA  2 SLR 1 (Court of Appeal);
- Acting for the (then) Port of Singapore Authority (PSA) in a judicial review of its decision to deny berthing rights to a cruise ship providing casino gambling on “cruises to nowhere”, reported in Lines International Holding (S) Pte Ltd v. STPB  1 SLR(R) 52;
- Advising on regulatory liabilities arising from ownership of a VLCC jetty;
- Advising on a scheme of arrangement in relation to the acquisition of Singapore insurance operations of a transnational insurer;
- Advising on ownership rights over an oil pipeline;
- Advising a US-listed insurance company on Lehman Brothers-related Minibonds including potential regulatory breaches, investigations by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), and resolution of disputes;
- Advising on statutory and leasehold rights in relation to land reclamation on Jurong Island;
- Acting for a transnational IT corporation to investigate a troubled IT government project in Hong Kong.